[Note: This entry was originally posted back in '04. Since that time other Deadwood fans have added music from Seasons 2 & 3 in the comments section below.
Special thanks to Tim Copsa for putting the whole three-season list together. See 12th comment on this entry for that comprehensive list.]
HBO has finally added some information, in their news section, on the music played as the Deadwood credits roll. Since many people Google for information on the music [edited to add there was a link here that is now dead so here's a list for Season One instead--don't have Season Two..sorry]
1. Deadwood: "Hog of the Forsaken": Michael Hurley
2. Deep Water: Creek Lullaby: Margaret
3. Reconnoitering the Rim: Twisted Little Man: Michael J. Sheehey
4. Here Was A Man: Fallen From Grace: Mark Lee Scott
5. The Trial of Jack McCall: God and Man: Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry
6. Plague: High Fever Blues: Bukka White
7. Bullock Returns to the Camp: Old Friend: Lyle Lovett
8. Suffer The Little Children: Will The Cirlcle Be Unbroken: June Carter Cash
9. No Other Sons and Daughters: Stars and Stripes Forever: Jelly Roll Morton
10. Mr. Wu: Hog of the Forsaken: Michael Hurley
11. Jewel’s Boot is Made For Walkin’: Snake Baked A Hoecake: Mike Peggy Barbara and Penny Seeger and their Children
12. Sold Under Sin: Farther Along: Mississippi John Hurt
*Edited for update*What the HBO site didn't tell me, much to my chagrin, was who did the fabulous theme song. I love that song, it has a Gaelic-influenced sound to it that I really like. I never fast forward through the song when I am re-watching recorded episodes because I love to listen to it and watch that opening montage of images, with the pretty horsey running around throughout. The combination of the haunting music and images is very hypnotic and gets me in the Deadwood zone.
I was so pleased to stumble upon the composer's site today, totally by accident. I just clicked on a referring site and there was David Schwartz's site. Serendipity, baby! Anyway, I wasn't surprised to find that he has composed lots of other cool songs that I like, including the theme song for Northern Exposure, which was one of my faves.